Friday, October 15, 2010

Day 12

Okay, before I get into this blog I need to clarify something. While looking through photos that are taken each day we have noticed that they are all very similar. We are ALL wearing the same thing, the weather the looks the same and our surroundings look the same. We want you all to know that we did not take tons of photos the first day we arrived here and now David and I are on a romantic cruise somewhere in the Caribbean, we are actually here and living each day to the fullest....we just wanted to make that clarification.

Well, no one can ever accuse us of not living on the edge, we know how to get things done around here. After a restless night, David decided we needed to find a dentist and stat. We found one right around the corner, next to our lovely bus stop, so handy. We walked right in and they were able to see David immediately, much to his relief, but you could tell he was also a bit nervous. Through Oksana David was able to explain the pain and the wonderful dentist went right to work. She started the procedure with a shot, and when Oksana and I saw the needle we both turned our heads, we couldn't bear to watch, unfortunately they didn't have the grape or strawberry flavored gas that David requested, poor guy. After much drilling, cleaning and more drilling the dentist finally removed the nerve, which I didn't even know was possible, she then filled the tooth with a temporary filling and he was a good as new. It was quite the humorous situation watching David answer questions from the dentist, through Oksana while his mouth was being worked on and then relaying things again through Oksansa back to the dentist. Whew, it was quite the morning. We went to pay and the whole procedure only cost us 150.00 gryvna, approximately $18.75, can't beat that. In fact I told David maybe we should get all his dental work done while we are here in Ukraine, he didn't agree. We do need go and get an x-ray taken tomorrow and then if David is still in pain we will beed to do one more follow up visit, but as I write this David is in no pain whatsoever. No more 'Groundhog Day' around here anymore
On our way home we passed our, well my most favorite find, as of yet. My friends and family who know me best will surely appreciate this...I found a SECOND HAND STORE, a Ukrainian DI of sorts. I thought I had died and gone to heaven right then and there. David moaned and shook his head when he realized what kind of a store it was. Oksana mentioned that she had never been in SUCH a store before, she didn't like them. What? Who doesn't like a good second hand store? So I quickly agreed to introduce her to the fine "art" of shopping at such a store and she had a ball, let me tell you. She was amazed at the prices and the different assortment of items. We found nails, batteries, makeup (okay I wouldn't even buy makeup used), clothes, purses, kitchen supplies and the list goes on and on. I could tell my poor David wanted to go home, so I will plan a 2nd, 3rd and possibly a 4th trip back on my own time. Boy, our apartment is in an ideal location...close to a grocery store, bus stop, dentist and now a DI...life is soooo good.

When we arrived home tonight we read your comments from our blog and many of you asked if the sanatorium also has girls living there, well we spotted them for the first time today and they are just as amazing and beautiful as the boys. They are softer and gentler, they huddle together in small groups holding each other's hands. They apparently live on the other side or maybe even on a different floor, it is hard to tell once you are inside the sanatorium We took their pictures and posted them below. When we were leaving today four little girls approached us, we gave them some candy and took their picture, oh I just wanted to grab them and kiss them all over. Afterwards as we were walking across the yard to leave we heard something yelling at us, we turned around and we saw one little girl crying as she was running towards us. She put her little hands out and asked if she too could have a little piece of candy like her friends. I looked over to David and through my tears I could tell David was crying too, he handed her the whole bag of remaining candy and told her to take them back and to share with her friends. She couldn't believe we had given her the whole bag, she was so grateful and the thing is, there were only about 10 tootsie rolls left, but she was happy anyway. She quickly ran back to her friends and handed out what was left and as we turned to leave we heard the group yelling, "thank you," we then turned around and they were waving goodbye. When we got to the fence with the boys today our emotions simply overwhelmed us, we did not want to leave. We didn't want to leave the boys, we didn't want to leave the children. The boys hugged us goodbye and told us in their broken English, "it's okay," and I have to think that one day everything will be.

Kisses!!


Bogdan at his usual place, waving goodbye and waiting for us to turn the corner.



The girls waving goodbye. The girl in the brown, hooded coat with her back turned, is the one we gave the bag of tootsie rolls to.


These are the girls that approached us originally inside the sanatorium.


This is the little one that ran after us asking for candy. She was all smiles when we gave her the bag. Beautiful!!


A gentlemen was selling this right out of his van. Just after I took this picture a lady wrapped it up in a towel and headed for home. Yummy?

David, all smiles. This was BEFORE the shot.

David and the dentist...drill baby drill.

Nice, cozy office.













4 comments:

  1. That pig head is DISGUSTING!!!
    However, the dentist office looked more sterile than I imagined and you can't beat the cost! So glad Dave is out of pain.
    Cute girls. Do the kids just hang out all day when they're in the Sanatorium? It looks so bleak and boring. Please tell me they have school of some sort.
    Will the boys be going to court with you? Alex had to speak to the judge and I know the Rast girls did too but I understand that Benson didn't. I hope they get to come. The judge talked with Alex, told him he needed to study and obey and learn English. Every so often I have to remind him that he promised the judge he would do these things.
    I found my Russian fur hat in an outdoor flea market in Dniproprotrosk. I also found incredible, fun and gaudy costume jewelry for my costume box. (I bought four different sets! You never know when a two pound rhinestone necklace with 4 inch dangling earrings could come in handy!) The market was HUGE and so much fun! (I referred to it as the outdoors Ukraine DI.) You will have to take pictures of the treasures you find.
    Wendy
    PS Okay - confession: I tried to not be the first commenter as I think I look like a blog stalker with my rambling, long winded comments and I'm usually the first one to comment so, in an effort to not look psycho or pathetic, I waited. But since everyone must be out of town (or have much more exciting lives than mine), after 21 hours, I gave up. Yes, it's true. I'm a pathetic blog stalker. (Sigh.) Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found a dentist. Wendy I just like to say dito to your blog so I wait ha ha. I think Iknow the store you are talking about Benson took me there and we bought some videos and toys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, We all wait for you to comment because it is our entertainment for the day and we are in a much better mood after reading what you say. It is just as good as reading the blog entry so please don't wait to comment, we are waiting for you---like the cute boy said "ladies First!"

    I feel cheated that I didn't find the DI in Dnipro. I bought things full price in stores that looked like they were a DI but a good bargain would have cheered me up considerably. One day I was depressed here at home and my husband took me to DI to cheer me up. I am so happy you have found a fun place to spend your grivna :) So glad the tooth had a happy ending. The price was good but the Corbetts were just telling us today how they have had to redo the dental work they had done in Ukraine so it may not be a forever fix. If his cheek is hot again go to any anteka and get an antibiotic. No prescription needed and get going on that. You are living on the edge with the dentist but a Ukrainian hospital may be a little over the edge. I cant wait to show Vitaly his friends from yesterday's post. We will comment there too. So glad to hear about the happy days!
    love the Hinksons

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a hard time seeing those kids and not being able to help them. I can't imagine actually being there and talking to them and seeing them. It must break your heart everyday, it would me, I'm almost in tears just reading your blog! When I get an extra 50,000 dollars I'm going over there and getting a couple of them! So glad Dave is doing better, and the dentist didn't even look scary from the pictures. Score on finding the DI! YES!! you know how excited I am for you, I know exactly what you mean about died and gone to heaven! kindred spirits, you and me! Miss you! thanks for sharing your journey, it is amazing.

    ReplyDelete