Monday, October 11, 2010

Day 8

We have slowed down a bit, our days pretty much consist of me waking up at 4am, then trying to wake Dave up, with no luck and then laying back in bed until it is bright enough for me to read my book. I think I will try to find a flashlight today so my reading can start earlier. We then have breakfast and then wait until it is time to visit the boys. We found the the bus depot, which is right around the corner, lucky us, and found that bus 10 will take us within a block or so of the sanatorium. While loading the bus, Dave and I realized they are not made for people who are over 6 feet. It was quite the experience trying to fit our 6'1" and 6'4" frames into the seats. I almost had to grease David down to get him out, and while getting off we both bumped our heads good and hard...ouch, yes we are quite the dorks. After returning from our visit we make dinner and then I try to stay awake until bed time, which I fail at miserably and thus the reason for me waking up at 4 am each day.
Well, I tried to do a little bit of laundry yesterday, big mistake. I poured in a liquid detergent, at least that is what the bottle said, but after the clothes had been washing for a bit and upon further investigation I realized I was washing the clothes with an oven cleaner, nice. The clothes are a little stiff this morning, but they do smell good.
Wendy, we mailed your package yesterday, YAY! You would have thought we were mailing some illegal contraband the way the woman was questioning us. She was sniffing it, rolling it around in her hands and then stamping it. She had to stamp it numerous times and because of the tape, the ink from the stamp wasn't drying, so she would sniff the package some more and then try to find a place where there was no tape to stamp it again. After the third or fourth time of her sniffing and stamping I had to turn my head away. I didn't want her to think I was laughing at her, but it was a hilarious situation and I couldn't stop giggling. Dave and I couldn't look at one another either for fear of laughing out loud. It was so nice to finally really laugh hard, we haven't done a whole lot of it since our arrival, so thanks for having us mail it. We still chuckle each time we think about it.
We had a nice visit with the boys yesterday. David brought the laptop along and when the boys realized we had it, you would have thought they had died and gone to heaven, they were so excited to play video games. A pretty uneventful afternoon, but it was good to just spend the time with them.
A lot of you have asked to describe the sanatorium a bit, so I will try. From what we can tell it is a huge U-shaped building with at least two levels. Long hallways with rooms going off into mazes. It is quite confusing to us, so we just stay close to the boys and Oksana. The boys sleep upstairs in rooms with beds that go from wall to wall. When you go upstairs to the living quarters the smell just hits you, it's a smell of body odor, urine and food, but after a while you do get use to it. The walls are painted with vibrant colors in beautiful murals and it is clean for the most part. The boys prefer it over the orphanage, they say they have more freedom and better food there. The moment we arrive we are overcome with children, they surround us just looking for any kind of affection and touch from us, it is hard to contain the tears sometimes. When we leave we walk past the "dining room" and the children all have there little faces pressed against the windows trying to get our attention one last time, it is hard not to leave with a dry eye. Each day here makes us so much more aware of all the we have at home, we are truly blesssed and have so much.
Again, we so appreciate your comments, your love and prayers. Loves and kisses.


This is a small handful of the group of boys that follow us everywhere. Just the cutest kids ever.





We took the laptop with us today, we have portable internet so the boys were able to play a couple of online games. Bogdan's smile says it all.




Our bus depot which is right around the corner from our home.



Another view of the bus depot.





7 comments:

  1. Danielle, I've been reading your blog and reliving those days of trying to stay awake past 7:00 p.m. and waking up at three or four. We laid in bed and read a lot with flashlights because we could not get our apartment heated to a comfortable temperature. Do you have a court date yet? Those pictures of the children wanting love and affection break my heart all over again. You guys are doing such a good thing. I pray that everything will go smoothly and you will be back in the States with your boys as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grrr...I remember that sleeping schedule too. We took to watching movies in the middle of the night and then going back to sleep-we could't visit Alex until 2pm so we'd sleep in. It was crazy. How are you liking that tiny one bum kitchen? James and I are not as tall as the two of you but we felt like bulls in a china cabinet in there. Can you even get your head under the shower head? That soap dish-the silver one? I bought that. I was so tired of getting water up my nose and in my eyes picking up the shampoo, conditioner and soap off the floor of the shower!
    THANK YOU THANK YOU for mailing my package. I hope it gets there. How funny that she was sniffing it. If there's one thing Ukraine's do well....it's sniff! Which doesn't make sense given the stench on the buses and just wafting from certain individuals you pass on the street.
    Aww....those sad kids in the sanatorium. Are they all orphans? Are they all sick? Why are your boys there? Are they sick? Or have a pimple or something? (Seriously, one of our families had a daughter in for a pimple!)
    Back home we're gearing up for the next set of orphans. You will probably arrive home just at the tail end or right after they leave. Can you believe it was a year ago you were hosting? We're not bringing kids from Dniprozerzink this year but still in the same region. I think you might be the last adopting from our orphanage.
    Thanks again for sending my package. Sorry it was such an ordeal. How much did it cost? Tell me truthfully. I'm betting I didn't send enough money given the extra sniff and care the package took!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love seeing the photos of the boys and reading your adventure. Is your court date still the 18th? Tell the boys hi from Benson (Vova)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute bunch of kids! I'll bet you are so glad to see those smiles everyday. Everything is so dreary, those are your rays of sunshine. Especially that Bogdan.

    What is the difference between a internat and sanitorium?

    Thanks for posting and keeping us updated. And be careful around that bus stop...the roof looks like it was bombed in WWII and could cave in at any time! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh! That bus station is scary! it looks like it is going to crumble with the next gust of wind! BEWARE:watch for falling rock! Seeing all of those orphans would break my heart, I would be crying every day for sure. I know you wish you could bring home a few more, if only you had another 100 thousand! Miss you and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kent and I are following your blog everyday, maybe because we feel guilty that we dragged you into this!!! Just kidding. When I see the cute faces of the other children it reminds me of why we are hosting again. Don't you just want to throw them all on the plane and bring them home??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danielle & Dave

    I've been reading up on your "journey" and oh, it brings back memories of when we traveled to Mongolia / China to get Brody. The scenery is a big different, but I know the emotions are the same. Congratualtions on getting this far on bringing your boys home.

    Funny thing, Brett and I were talking about your the other night, wondering if and when you guys were leaving to get your boys. The next day, voila, there on facebook were pictures of you, Dave and the boys. I think it was like your 2nd day there.

    I know the boys can't wait to get home and start living their lives with their eternal family. When we were in the process of adopting Brody, people use to say to us, "He is such a lucky boy, to have such a great family to live with." I use to get angry a that, and think, "We are the lucky ones, to have such beautiful boy bless our lives." But when we got to Mongolia, and saw the living conditions and other things, I began to think, "Not only are we lucky to have him in our family, but Brody really is lucky because all of a sudden, he now has so many more opportunities he didn't have before."

    The same goes for your boys. You are lucky to be blessed with these beautiful boys, but they are lucky to have wonderful parents and many opportunities to have a better life.

    Good luck with everything. I hope the court date happens before Dave has to fly home. Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you. Good luck & God Bless.

    ReplyDelete