Friday, October 15, 2010

Day 11, wow, really?

Day 11, in all actuality it's pretty much the same as day 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, etc...except we did it mix it up a bit today. Just to give you a little history, on the way to the airport last week a part of David's tooth fell out and it is getting progressively worse. In fact yesterday, he was getting quite sick, I don't know if the pain is making him sick or the infection from the tooth. When I touch his check, it is warm to the touch and because the pain is so bad and the ibuprofen isn't helping we decided it would be best for him to opt out of today's activities. The only good thing about him staying behind is that it gave me a chance to find the sanatorium on my own and navigate the bus system. Yes, I did have Oksana with me, but it was nice to finally figure my way around. We will try to find a dentist tomorrow, I don't think David will be able to handle the pain much longer and I am worried about the infection, we'll see how he feels in the morning.

We are starting to feel quite at home here, people are recognizing us and we as well them. The ladies at the grocery store know us quite well and when David attempts to chat with them they simply giggle, hmmm I don't get the same response, go figure. I think I now know why David likes to go to the grocery store on his own, jk.

Anyway, Oksana and I arrived at the sanatorium and the boys were quite upset to find that David was home sick, they were asking a million questions about his health, they were so concerned...sheesh, what am I? Chopped liver? Oh, they just LOVE him, and I am glad they do. PLEASE, don't any of you think I am complaining, they are just as loving with me, it's just a little "joke" David and I have with one another, it's an inside thing. I simply love to watch the "magic" that is happening before my eyes with David and the boys, it is simply wonderful.

Bogdan, is such a ladies man, he holds the door for me, holds my coat and always motions for me to go first when we enter a room, "ladies first," he states with a big swoop of his arm to move me forward, such a gentleman. Because David wasn't with us today we decided to stay at the sanatorium and play a few games my dear friend, Roseanne, gave us before we left. Bingo and Don't Eat Pete were a hit. Ruslan pulled the blanket off his bed for us to sit on and we then played the afternoon away. I wish David could have been there, it was such a FABULOUS time with them all. During Bingo Bogdan read the letters out to the boys, he would yell, "attention, B-5" then grab another chip and do the same, "attention, I-19" he was so serious. Oksana and I just kept smiling, he was way too cute for words. We brought some tootsie rolls and watermelon gum from the home to share with the boys. Once they realized I had candy, I was surrounded by grubby little hands. When I placed a piece of candy in Oleg's hand (the boy whose birthday it was yesterday) he said, "thank you" so I gave him another piece for his generosity. The other boys quickly caught on and they began to say "please" and "thank you." Ruslan was a little slow in noticing, so when I only gave him one piece he was quick to say, "pooiehosiooshka thbokspteiskehtoi," (this is what it sounded like to me) Oleg quickly reminded him to say, "thank you." Rusaln finally caught on, sheesh. Oh, that Oleg is just too adorable.

( Oh, side note...Christy, this is the Oleg that is friends with Vitaly, he asked me to send Vitaly his regards and to tell him he misses his friend. He asked me to take a picture of he and another boy, he mentioned this was a friend of Vitaly's as well. )

After the games we spent the rest of the afternoon just talking. While I was sitting there surrounded by these BEAUTIFUL children, my eyes started to fill with tears. How honored David and I are to be a part of this miracle. To be here in Ukraine at this time in our lives, amazing. Thousands of miles away from home and yet feeling quite at home here.

When Oksana and I arrived home tonight, David was no better. In fact, we will need to find a dentist tomorrow, wish us luck.

There are days we so want to go home and then there are days like today we don't ever want to leave. How do you leave these children behind? How do you go on with your daily activities knowing what you know? We will for forever be different people because of our experiences here and rubbing shoulders with these resilient, loving, beautiful children of our Heavenly Father.

We love and miss you all! Mom, please hug the kids a little bit longer for us tonight. We miss them so much!! Kisses!!


Bogdan and Ruslan stand at the fence when we leave each day. Today Bogdan walked us to the fence. This picture is taken right as we turn the corner to go home. I had to really zoom in so you could actually see him. It is hard to continually turn around as we are walking away and to see him still standing there waving goodbye.



In the boys sleeping quarters.

Some of the boys...

Oleg and his friend sending "regards to Vitaly."

Playing Don't Eat Pete. Thanks Roseanne.

Don't Eat Pete, again.

Guess what? The garbage was picked up today. It was the very first thing we all noticed when we left this morning.











10 comments:

  1. Whootwhooo for garbage pick up!
    Oh, that tooth thing is scary. Do keep us posted. What a great day. I feel you pain clear over here and remember vividly wanting to take everyone home but knowing I couldn't.
    Don't eat Pete! What a great game to play. I wish I had thought of that one. We did lots of UNO.
    Are there any girls around? I'm not sure I've seen girls in any of your photos.
    W

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tender post. The kids you are taking pictures of are beautiful, and it sounds like their personalities match their smiles. It is going to be hard for to leave them all behind. It's good that you got some alone time with them all so they could focus on you. We've seen so many pictures over the years of the sleeping quarters of these kids, but each time, it amazes me how these kids stay in such good spirits despite their circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor David! I hope you can get it taken care of, at least treat the pain for the guy. hopefully they can calculate doses for a big guy ;)

    Love the pictures, keep them, coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK...so...do we need to overnight some antibiotics for Dave??? Seriously! I'm happy to do it! I'm worried about him! Let us know ASAP what needs to be done! I love, love, love your posts and photos...You guys are amazing!
    Much love,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do they even have "overnight" service to the Ukraine?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dentist in the Ukraine? Yikes that sounds terrible, my kids have horror stories. Hope that turns out o.k. But hey maybe it will be free, perhaps socialized medicine there includes the dentist. I can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving reading your touching blog. All the memories come rushing back. Yes, I agree with Wendy. Where are all the girls? Good luck with the tooth problem. Bad timing it happened in Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Danielle, my advice for the dentist thing is to call the mission home and find out where the missionaries go. I had to have a crown in the Philippines, and I was able to find a really awesome dentist (English speaking too!) through the mission home. It might be worth a try. Thank you so much for your words and pictures every day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, nothing like tooth pain! so sorry for David! I hope he gets some relief soon. I love seeing your pictures, it is so interesting and amazing to know you are actually there doing this amazing thing!can't stop thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vitaly says to say hi to Oleg and Maxim (the 2 cute boys waving to him) I told him that you could give them a message but he thought hi would be fine and so I guess that is all he can think of to say. He likes both boys and says that Oleg has been his best friend since they were both put in the orphanage. We were all impressed with Oleg's mild manners and sweetness and he has the most beautiful blue eyes. Danielle you are right, It is so hard to leave the other kids there. You want to give them all a home. Luckily the situation in Ukraine is getting better for orphans and they aren't getting booted out at 16 and living on the streets anymore like we heard, but just living a normal like in Ukraine is pretty grim. We are so happy that you are giving the boys a good loving home. You can't change the whole world, but you are certainly changing their world for the better.
    Take care
    The Hinksons

    ReplyDelete