Sunday, October 17, 2010

Days 13 and 14

I have often heard the phrase, "Another day another dollar", or "Another day another back ache", well here when it comes to the life of an orphan it should be, "Another day another heartbreak". Yesterday we faced the stark reality of orphan life.
We first went to the orphanage for Wendy's Alex and also for Nanette. Alex wanted us to drop off a little package to his friend, Sasha and Nanette asked us to give a message to Nastya. When we arrived we found the children playing football, we inquired about Sasha and Nastya and we were finally able to locate them. (Alex, Sasha was sooo excited to hear you had sent him a gift, he was ALL smiles. He initially had a hard time reading your letter, but an older boy read it aloud to him and he was so happy to hear that you are well.) While he was reading the letter, I wanted to get a picture, but just as I was getting out my camera a barrel of a man ran over to me yelling, ghdskaeuihslui idehakboosh. Translation: "Stop, stop, stop. You do not take pictures of the children, in America you would never let me take pictures of your children, Stop! Don't give this child candy, in America you would never let me give your children candy. No pictures. Stop!!" After Oksana explained who the gift was from and why we were there he agreed to let Sasha keep the gift, but no pictures whatsoever. Well, I just couldn't leave without taking at least a few pictures for Alex, so when he turned his back to me, I quickly took out my camera and snapped a couple of shots. David stood between the man and I...he never had a clue, HA! Sasha gives his regards to you Alex. Also, Nanette we finally found Nastya, oh she is a beautiful, kind young lady. She literally beamed when we handed her your information she also had a message for you, "please tell her and Vovo I miss them, give them my regards," She put the note in her pocket, zipped it closed, patted it twice and walked away with a smile on her face. I also snuck a picture for you as well. Shhhh. don't tell.

After our visit to the orphanage, we needed to go and get an x-ray of David's tooth, just as a precaution. If the pain continued the dentist wanted to have an x-ray as a back up. I took a photo of the certificates that lined the dentist office, but David is still a no go when it comes to getting all his dental work done here, he won't even entertain the idea. The x-ray cost 15 grivna, just shy of $2.00. WOW!

Later we made our way over to the sanatorium and when we arrived we learned what happened after we left yesterday. Apparently one of the nurses was NOT happy with the candy we had given the children. After we left, she took the candy away, and told the children we were there to poison them and then burned their candy to prove it was poisonous. How burning the candy would prove that, we'll never know. Originally we had asked the director if we could pass out candy to the children, she agreed and had no problem with us doing so, but unfortunately she was not working yesterday. The nurse told Oksana, to tell us, to NEVER bring sweets to the children again and asked when we will be going home, she does not want us back. We were also not allowed upstairs to see the kids this time, and they were not allowed to see us either. They would sit at the window and yell things to us below, we didn't want them to get into trouble, so we quickly left, it was hard to walk away. We were still able to see Ruslan and Bogdan, but Ruslan felt terrible about what had happened, he was upset through our whole visit. Hopefully our visits to the sanatorium are winding down.

Well today, Sunday,we awoke to water running down the road in front of our building. Didn't think anything of it until we went to get ready for the day...we have no water. It is now approximately 5:30 and it's not looking good. Seriously? Tomorrow we have is our court day and David and I look like the grapes of wrath and smell just as bad, it will not be a good thing if we do not get water by tomorrow. A few nights back a woman from upstairs knocked on our door to tell us she had a pipe break in her apartment and water will soon be coming into our apartment and before we even had the door closed, sure enough we found water coming through the ceiling in Oksana's room. We are not sure if this is the reason for no water today, but it looks like something seriously broke, there is water everywhere outside. Wish us luck, we so need water for tomorrow.
We were not able to get a hold of the local missionaries to find the branch on the Left Bank and we couldn't afford to pay George the $50.00 dollars to drive us to the other branch so we had a quiet day inside.

As of right now our court date is still scheduled for tomorrow. We still haven't heard if it's still a go or not. Facilitator Oksana left last week and we haven't seen hide nor tail of her since then. We'll for sure keep you posted.

Oh, question: After court when do the boys come and stay with us? Is it right after or a few days later? Translator Oksana isn't sure when, she is usually gone right after court.

Today, has been a slow day and I'm afraid we still have more to come, but tomorrow should be more exciting. PLEASE, continue to keep us in your prayers.

Loves and kisses.





When we weren't able to see the children yesterday, they would knock on the window to get our attention. It was hard not seeing them, perhaps we'll be able to before we leave.

One of the many murals inside the sanatorium.



Front view of the sanatorium. We enter and exit through the door on the far right. The top window, just to the right of the front doors is the sleeping quarters for the boys. This is where the children would sit and wave to us from. The building continues for quite a distance to the left.

The many CERTIFICATES of the dentist, 17 in all. For all we could tell, they could have just as easily been menus to the local restaurant.


Nastya, after we gave her the note.


Sasha. The older boy was helping him read the letter.


Sasha and friends.


Sasha.




The train station. Our ticket home.


Our beautiful Translator, Oksana.














9 comments:

  1. We will pray for you for sure. Hold on. Hugs for you all. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We could not take Alex until the ten day wait was over! And they wanted me to leave him in the orphanage until his paperwork and passport was ready. I had to kindly explain that I was here to get Alex OUT of the orphanage and not on a recreational vacation. I had him out the MINUTE I was legally his mom-even though that included changing apartments because the owners would not allow Alex to stay with me in the apartment I was in. I then moved to the getto or commonly called "Straders scary apartment" because they had it first.
    Oh, thank you thank you for delivering the package. I had just run home from church to grab my closet keys and thought I'd check on you so I'm rushing.....
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my! Those nurses are just as cheery as they come. Maybe they are trying to scare the kids better. We had a real jewel of one at our orphanage too. I hope you get some water before court so you can feel 83% clean for that big event. I also hope Oksana shows back up. She left us too and we couldn't reach her either. I would love to hear that there is a branch on Left bank. There was not one in June when we were there. We rode the bus to church in Dneproertrovsk and it cost about 2.00. Let us know if you need info on that. You can catch a bus by the bloxall or in the mir plaza and we can tell you how to get to the church. They may be watching conference so you could also just try to get some talks from LDS.org. I sure hope you get a better reception when you go to the Santitorium next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I'm home and not rushing I have more to say! (Imagine that?)
    That nurse is a piece of work. Seriously? Burned it? Little does she know that as much as she wants you to leave, you want it more!
    It cracks me up when you write Ukraine/Russian. Seriously cracks me up! Alex was so happy to see pictures of Sasha and after I read him your post about Sasha he was smashed his cheek against mine and told me I'm "the best at everything!" I think seeing his friends and the orphanage was a stark reminder of where he came from and how much his life has improved. (On a side note, Alex learned about the word of wisdom today in church and asked if he could teach us "words of wisdom" at dinner? I can't wait!)
    I couldn't find any church on the right or left bank. I even had someone check with the church office building in SLC. I was told there was a few saints that met but not an official service in Dniprozerstink. I mean Dniprorzerzink.
    I do hope court goes smooth. Oskana worked with us the night before and went over questions we might be asked and how to answer.I'm surprised she's not there walking you through things. I do hope it's all a go for tomorrow and that it goes smoothly. My best advice is to cry! Show the judge your "mothers heart". They have a hard time believing anyone would really want these children and are baffled at our willingness to bring them into our home and raise them as our own.
    I do hope you get water and soon - if not rest easy knowing that you will still probably smell better than 90% of the people you'll pass on the street!
    Love,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heaven forbid they let the children have any happiness!! that is sooooo sad. A little candy never hurt anyone, please! Maybe you should give the nurse some, she was probably feeling left out or jealous. maybe some circus peanuts would cheer her up?:)) Good luck tomorrow with court! love ya~ Oliver is coming over tomorrow. I said I would keep him until Dave gets here but Lois insisted that she get him back on Wed. Good luck getting your dog back! She has fallen in love with him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope everything goes okay tommorrow. Tell everone hi from us. Thanks for the photo. She is so sweet. Hopefully someone can help her contact us when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you at court!!

    And I love how you 'snuck' a few pictures when nobody was looking. That one of the boys in their bedroom window breaks my heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My girls loved the pictures of the kids from their school, so I am glad you got a chance to sneak some pictures.

    Hope you get some water and I can't wait to hear how court goes.

    ReplyDelete