Friday, October 22, 2010

Days 18 and 19, ahhh!

Today, 42 Ukrainian children arrive in Salt Lake City with, I'm sure, the same hopes and fears that our boys did when they first arrived. And now I sit here my apartment completing the circle that was started over a year ago when we first hosted Bogdan and Ruslan. I can't even begin to describe what an honor it has been for David and I to be a part of this miraculous journey. We never intended on adopting, but once we held them and cared for them, we were smitten. They were ours. I wish I were home to see these "new" children, what an adventure for not only them, but the host families as well.

Well, the last few days have been somewhat quiet around here. Now that David is gone the only sounds I hear are the children playing outside, dogs barking, the water heater kicking on and the sound of me talking to myself. As I write this, David is just leaving JFK and will be reunited with James and Windsor tonight, it was hard for him to leave me, but knowing the kids were waiting for their dad made saying goodbye a bit easier. It'll be nice to have him back home...and to all those of you who have had our children, THANK YOU. THANK YOU, for being there for them, when we could not. How we will ever repay you, I will never know. We love you dearly!!

The days have been filled with bus rides, going to the Materick (I know I spelled that incorrectly, but those of you who have never been here before will never know, so I am just clarifying it for those who have), feeding dogs and playing baseball. The kids have absolutely fallen head over heels in love with American baseball. Thanks Roseanne for the suggestion, even here in the Ukraine you know how to make things fun for children. If I had known it would be such a hit I would have packed enough mitts and a bat for a complete team. We just don't have enough time in our day to have them ALL play like they would like to. We will leave the mitts and ball here for the children to continue to play, I just wish it could be more.

Many of you have asked what it looks like here...it reminds me a little bit of a cross between the movies "Dr. Zhivago" and "Fiddler on the Roof". There is a scene in "Fiddler on the Roof" where Tevye is singing, "Tradition" and his daughter, who is marrying the guy from Starsky and Hutch, the 70's version, is standing on a hill side with her soon to be husband, I really think that scene was filmed right here in Dnipro. I'm sure I pass it each day on my way to the sanatorium, so by the time I arrive to see the boys I am softly humming songs from "Fiddler on the Roof". Love that movie...

Today, while returning home I had quite the scare. When I got on the bus after visiting the boys, the bus driver turned to me and said, "slkjflksjfoihdknnbboosh" and then he turned his back to me, so I thought our one way conversation was over, so I proceeded to the very back corner of the bus, I feel the safest there, he then turned back around and yelled at me "ajlkdjfosijf hifhhboosh" at which time EVERYONE on the bus tuned to look at me. I replied, "American, no Ukraine." He muttered something under his breath and then started driving the bus, while still muttering to himself. Well, I thought all was over, but no. Just up and to the left of me a man turned around, gave me a BIG, not so friendly smile, and then said, "Well, well, well." What? What did he mean? No, "well, well, well". I was terrified, why was he saying this to me? I quickly turned my Ipod on and cuddled up closer to the Babushka sitting next to me and stared out the window. Each time I looked over at him, he was smiling and whispering, "well, well, well." FREAKY!! I wanted off that bus so fast, but I wasn't going to give off for love nor money if he happened to get off when I did. Fortunately he got off way before, whew!!

Anyway, the countdown continues. Oksana told me I probably wouldn't be able to leave until around the 12th of November. But today Irina told David more then likely we should be home around the 5th, I am hoping Irina is right. Apparently, Bogdan has to get a background check done because he is now 14. He has to get one done under his old name, Bogdan Bohen and then when that clears, he will need another one done under his new name of Bogdan Joshua Moore, go figure. So the paperwork continues...

There is a huge part of me that wants to go home today, but then there is another part that really doesn't want to. I will miss these children. When you play with them, when you talk with them you get closer to them. I will forever remember these children. Today when I said goodbye at the fence two more boys joined us, they too gave me a big hug when I left and waited until I turned the corner before they turned and went back into the sanatorium. It's going to be hard to walk away that last and final day...

Loves and kisses!!!

Bogdan playing baseball. Doesn't the smile say it all?

Nicholas, he too loves to play baseball.

A few of the girls.


Ruslan and Bogdan feeding the dogs. Today we were joined by a cat. Ruslan would feed the dogs one hot dog and then he would eat the other, that boy is ALWAYS hungry.


Vitaly, we met him today for the first time. What a beautiful young man he is.


The sanatorium is surrounded on all four sides by these huge apartment buildings.


The boys sneaking out of the "dinning room" to come and play ball. Today the nurse let them join us, I think I'm getting to her. I haven't gotten a smile yet, I'm still working on it though.








6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Danielle. What a scary bus ride! Once thought I could just stay on bus #11 and eventually it would get to my apartment. Seemed logical. It should just make a big circle? I rode and rode and then the bus driver said "brushkerbashki verdifikl bleel" which I think might have meant, "this is the end-get off" or something like that. (Notice how I used your Russian language technique?) I was the only one on the bus. I got off, was terrified and had no idea where I was but pretended I knew what I was doing. I walked around the corner and picked up another bus #11 and rode it home. Whew.
    But the "Well, well, well" guy? Gives me chills just thinking about it.
    Yep, tonight they all arrive! I will blog about it just for you. (Although we're not suppose to put on pictures? Maybe I'll have to put something vague or fuzzy on.)
    You are in my prayers! Know that I know where you are, Dave knows where you are and most importantly Heavenly Father knows where you are! God Speed.
    Wendy
    (I am re-posting this without as many grammatical errors!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, What a bus ride. I am glad you got home safe and I think you are brave and wonderful to ride the bus to the other side each day for the baseball lessons. I loved that huge smile of Bogdan's and now I understand why you get on the bus :) The boy Nicholas was from our orphanage. It is so fun to see these kids that we left a part of our heart with.
    If anyone can warm up the nurse, it will be you and I hope you get a picture of her big giant smile some day soon. Maybe she has a big rotton tooth and so she is embarrassed to smile. Maybe she only burned one of the candies and ate the rest :) I am sure she will be a different person when you leave and so will you. Have a fun weekend. Did you ever find out if there is a branch on West bank?
    Lots of Love
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had an experience like that in the Hamburg train station years ago. My traveling companion had left in the evening to explore the city while we waited for our midnight train that would take us to our next destination. I hunkered down next to a wall with a book to read. At one point, a German man in skin-tight zebra pants came and stood toe-to-toe with me and starting shouting at me in German. I kept my eyes glued to my book and acted like I was deaf. He eventually went away, but I waited for a long time after he left before I dared to look up. I didn't want to see that he was still in the vicinity and noticing me looking around. Egad.

    Maybe we could collect up a bunch of baseball mitts, some balls, and a bat to send to the orphanage for the kids to play with.

    You just keep talking to yourself and keeping yourself company!! James is over here tonight playing with Owen. They've missed playing together. James is anxious for Dave to get home tonight. I keep looking out the window to see if there are lights on at your house. 7:20 p.m. and nothing yet. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOu are very brave to venture out. I couldn't see Benson very often because he was at camp. I'm glad you are able to see the boys every day that will help the time pass. YOu are in our prayers Love Nanette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there - I stumbled on your blog. Brought back a lot of memories of us in 2006, getting Julia - then age 6 - from Children's Home #47 in St. Pete. You don't ever forget the little faces you left behind. Hope you get home quickly. Becky, http://thisreminds.me

    ReplyDelete