Monday, October 4, 2010

Second day in Ukraine


Our scary, two-man elevator to our apartment.

Just returned home from the SDA appointment, which was much less frightening then we had anticipated. We sat around a small table which hit David and I at our knees, they asked a few questions, showed us pictures of the boys, gave us brief backgrounds on the boys and then we were done. We don't want to get our hopes up, but it looks as if we may be able to adopt the boys simultaneously, we have an appointment tomorrow at 4pm for another interview where they will give us our final approval.
I am ashamed to say our first official breakfast in Kiev was a quick dash to McDonalds. Here we are in this beautiful city, with different foods everywhere and we eat at McDonalds. We will venture out later in hopes of finding some authentic Ukrainian food. Any suggestions from those of you who have gone before us?
Every few minutes David and I mention to one another how amazing it is that we are on this journey together. That he and I are actually walking the streets of Kiev. We are humbled and honored to be a part of it all.

5 comments:

  1. Ouch for your blister!
    Food? In Kiev there are some fun buffets where you can pick from lots of different foods. It's not like Chuck-a-Rama-you pay for each item but we had great success there. I wish I could tell you how to get there or what the names were but I know that one was through the big LG arch and then you went downstairs once you went in the door and there were sinks to wash your hands at the front of the restaurant. Just sitting out in plain sight. Yummy food. Maybe with that info, your translator can help you find it. I think you are really close to where our apartment was and the LG arch place is within walking distance.
    Crossing my fingers you can get both boys at the same time!
    Don't you think it's funny how they park on the sidewalks? And the lights strung across the streets are new? Is it a holiday or celebration?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle, I am so excited for you! Sunday we watched about the Kiev Temple. How exciting that you are there now picking up your boys. I hope you can adopt them both at once. The city looks beautiful! I'm glad I get to "take" this trip with you via your blog! My prayers are with you and your growing family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing pics. I love the street lights at night. It looks like Christmas! Got James off to school just fine this morning. I'm glad the meeting was much less formal than you were expecting. We're all hoping for great things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, it is so pretty there! I didn't expect your apartment to look so nice. Ouch for your huge blister!!! there are definitely some similarities to your trip and going on a mission! I hope you and Dave have the trip of a lifetime together there! Have fun and good luck with the next steps in the process! Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle--I love reading and looking at your adventures! It's so wonderful to see how things are working out. Brian and I hope and pray for the best for you and your boys. When you get home Brian can speak his Russian phrases and hopefully the boys will be able to understand him!

    ReplyDelete