Monday, October 25, 2010

Day 22

Today was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day! Where do I even begin? I woke up this morning feeling quite homesick, just wanting this to be over with and to finally be able to go home. I miss everyone!! I miss home!! I even put my most favorite shoes on today, hoping they would help, no such luck.



I had a quiet morning and then it was time to get ready for my daily visit with the boys. My bus trips to the Left Bank are now becoming moments of absolute anxiety. The bus drivers are awful. Every single time I board their buses they get so frustrated and angry with me. And no matter how s...l...o...w or how LOUD they talk to me, I STILL DO NOT UNDERSTAND!! Once again, today was no different. After I gave the driver my 2 grivna he turned to me and tried to engage in converstation with me. I told him, "American, no Ukraine," and then I started to go to the back of the bus, but this time the driver grabbed my arm and then pointed to a sign. It looked something like this:

Ukridnne
20-10-2010
2.50
Rifhsibwzy
Ahhh, ooops. Apparently the bus fare went up .50. No wonder I have been yelled and cursed at since last week. How was I to know? Do I know how to READ Ukraine, ummm no. Oh, if I had only known this back on the 20th, my bus rides would have been so much more enjoyable. Well, I was still pretty upset, it took me forever to find .50, I haven't got the coins down yet, so I was fumbling in my pockets, my change purse, while the passengers were staring away at the tall, awkward American before them and while I was trying to figure out which coin was .50 the bus driver was tapping his fingers and huffing and puffing in my general direction. Why wouldn't anyone come to my rescue? There had to be someone on that bus that knew enough English to help me, but no. I wasn't able to find the right coin, so I just grabbed 20 grivna and handed it to him, this frustrated the driver even more, he now how to find me the correct change. When he handed me the money I turned around to find a seat and to my horror the only one available was right by the door. For those of you who have been here, this bus was not one of the larger ones that look and smell like they've been around for 50 years, but one of the smaller passenger vans. I sat down and the then the driver turned around and yelled something at me again. DID HE NOT REMEMBER WHAT JUST HAPPENED? I DO NOT SPEAK UKRAINE!!! He said it to me again and then waited, I did nothing and then finally a gentleman from the back of the bus stood up and came and closed the door for me, ahhhh he wanted me to close the door. Well, by this time my eyes were starting to fill with tears, so I took out my Ipod, thanks Wendy for the suggestion, and simply stared out the window. At the next stop, each person that got on or off tripped over my long legs because I was sitting right in there way. I couldn't tuck my legs anywhere and the bus was full so I wasn't able to move to a different seat, this continued to happened at each and every stop for the next 45 $%#!!*@ minutes. (Sorry Mom for swearing). Finally just as we were rounding the corner to my stop I leaned my head up against the window, relieved to finally get off the bus. I know the driver did this on purpose...he drove right over a pothole, which made me bump my head good and hard against the window. I glared at him and he glared right back. Now I have the biggest goose egg on the side of my head. Ohhh, these Ukrainian bus drivers....
I made it to the sanatorium and my day only continued to go downhill. When I walked through the doors I found Bogdan waiting for me, he ran over and gave me a big hug. He went to get Ruslan, but at that moment my most favorite nurse, actually this one really is my most favorite, and she actually has a gold tooth right in the very front, but she is not only kind to me, but the children as well. She came over to where I was standing and you guessed it...she started talking to me. Again, I DO NOT SPEAK UKRAINE! She told me the same thing over and over and poor Ruslan was having a difficult time translating, and then I had a brilliant idea...I called translator Oksana in Kyiv. Apparently the sanatorium had to do a head count of all the children, they were having an inspection by the state done that day and the children needed to be present during the inspection. The inspection was to only take about 15 minutes and they asked me to wait downstairs and the boys would be able to join me in just a bit. Well, you know how I feel about the smell inside, so I decided to wait outside until they were done. It was a beautiful day and just as I sat down our little dog that we feed hot dogs to came and sat with me while I waited. I waited for a good hour or so and then Ruslan finally walked out the door. He had tears running down his cheeks and he wouldn't look at me. He came over to where I was sitting and said, "Mommy home, Bogdan, me sanatorium." I didn't quite know what he meant, so I continued to wait. The friendly nurse came out, we called Oksana again and she explained to me that the state inspector hadn't arrived yet and it would be best if I just went home for the day. I then handed the phone to Ruslan, Oksana wanted to explain everything to him. Bogdan leaned his little ear up to the phone also, when they heard I was going to go back home, they both just started to cry and cry. Ruslan couldn't even talk and Bogdan ran to the other side of the courtyard and continued to cry. The nurse was trying to console Ruslan while I ran over to Bogdan and held him. They were so upset...Ruslan handed me the phone back and then quickly ran into the sanatorium. Oksana then told me that Ruslan didn't think it was right that he had to stay, he now had a mom and dad and he should be with them, not in the sanatorium. He told her he was going to run away later, he just wanted to be with his mom...me. They all left me standing there. I returned back to the bus stop and for the first time in a week the bus driver didn't yell at me, I had given him the correct fare this time. It was a long ride home...
Tomorrow I'm going to spend the day with Elder and Sister Hardy. David and I met them our first Sunday here. I am torn, I feel like I should go and see the boys, but the Hardys received special permission from their mission president to spend the day with me. Also, they found a translator for us who can only do the museum tour tomorrow. The boys know I will not be there, but I still feel awful.
After the sanatorium I returned home, skyped my family and now I've been crying ever since. To those of you who have done this before, hats off to you. I know I'll make it...but today was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. One bright spot, I did find out about the bus fare increase...
Loves and kisses.
(I only took one picture today, maybe tomorrow)

17 comments:

  1. Danielle, I'm sorry. Your story today has made a tear come to my eye, too. We love you and miss you. We know that part of your pain is because you case so much for Bogdan and Ruslan. The pain will last but a moment. The Moore family is on the verge of being complete.

    The day will be yours tomorrow. And in a week, your victory will be complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there, honey. You are so close to ending this challenging chapter and even though that mean bus driver is yelling at you you have a whole host of friends and loved ones over here cheering for you and with you! Hang in there! Love you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. How agonizing! And yet so much to be grateful for knowing these two little guys will soon be removed from this existence... Breathe deeply and know Heavenly Father is aware of you and all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danielle, where oh where is your transltor?? If you don't have onw with you you need to tell Yuri and Elliana that you need one. We were never let alone.
    Margie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're almost there! Keep the end in sight! In time, you will forget the bad stuff. Is there another bus that arrives there slightly earlier and just hang out until it's time? Or does that route only run once day? Can your facilitator find you a student in the area that speaks English who could help you for a few days? We'll all say a prayer for you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hang in there bud. I hope your power is back on and that you will have a better day tomorrow! A museum sounds very fun and speaking English ALL day! Yay! I love you and will pray extra hard for you tonite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Danielle,

    Even your cute red shoes look so sad :( I am so sorry that you had a horrible day. I can honestly say that I know that yucky feeling and it will get better (actually how could it get worse...Well I guess you could have had a bus wreck and be blogging from a hospital in Ukraine with your leg in a cast hanging down from the ceiling and the wicked nurses could have stolen your favorite shoes.) Seriously, that is an awful day full of disappointment. I know tomorrow will be so much better and the boys will be even extra happy to see you the next day. On a good note it sounds like the pouting ended and they actually cried because they couldn't see you which is sad but a good sign that they are bonding :) I think that you are so brave to be staying there alone and braving the dirty, smelly, fare changing bus each day. I feel bad that I complained so much. I had a Russian speaking son there to protect me and talk to me it was still very hard. You deserve a Nobel Prize :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keep a stiff upper lip. You can do it. I would probably have yelled at him. The sun will come up tomorrow, says Annie. We too are looking forward to having you all home again. Just be safe so be very careful. Nora is vying for my attention so better go. Love to you, mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Danielle!! Bronwyn read portions of your blog to us as we were sitting down to dinner, and when she finished Liam spoke up with tears in his eyes. He was so sad for you. He wants to fill your front porch with nice cards to make you feel better. I wish I could just hug you in person, but we will have to wait a bit for that. You are doing an amazing, miraculous thing. We are praying for you every day. You are going to make it! Just know that so many of us here are with you there in spirit. You are part of everything going on here. Courage my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Danielle.....I'm not sure I have words of comfort. Although your terrible, horrible, no good, very bad" post made me laugh out loud picturing you trying to stay out of the way on that front seat! And as much as it was sad to see your boys cry for you, didn't it warm your heart to know how much they want to be with you? Crying for a mom and HAVING one willing to brave grumpy bus drivers, smelly buses, cramped apartments, a foreign language, funky food, mean old nurses, dying dogs, and living 1/2 a world away from the rest of her family and familiar comforts just to bring two little boys out of a world of neglect and abandonment? AMAZING! That's what you are. I think I need to start some Ukraine mom awards....and you my dear will get top honors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My heart aches for you. Not so long ago, I was in that very city begging and pleading with nurses to please let me feed my little Andre before nightfall, only to have the nurses yell at me in words I did not understand, and slam the door in our face. You are so brave and such a Godsend to these little guys. Stay strong and sane. Maybe a day off is exactly what you need! I really wish I could give you a hug right now. Hang in there!!♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Keep your chin up. The end is getting closer, and you'll all be together in America soon! We are all cheering for you in heart and mind!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry you had a bad day. You have been alot braver and nicer and upbeat than I ever was those last few days. Don't you get the boys on Thursday? That last week is pretty busy and goes by fairly fast. We love you and you are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Camille is home sick today so I was telling her about your terrible, horrible, no good very bad day and she said "I'm sorry that happened. I want to make it go away. I want her back in Payson because I like her so much."
    We are all thinking of you...sending you positive energy thoughts to get thru the hard days...soon it will be over. Soon you will be HOME! WE LOVE YOU!!!!
    xoxoxo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know things can look bad now, but in a few months you will look back at all that has happened and laugh. You and the boys are in our prayers everyday. We are all looking forward to having you all home and getting to know these wonderful boys. We love you all

    Lesley and girls

    ReplyDelete
  16. That really was a terrible day. I'm reading several days later, so I hope your heart has been comforted. Your next post sounded so much better. I can't help but think these boys will read this when they are older and thank the Lord for a true mother. That word "mother" encompasses a lot...a willingness to go literally, to the ends of the earth. That is you without a doubt. These must be precious boys and certainly they are meant to be in your family. Our prayers and love go with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! I don't think anyone could top tha! I'm surprised you don't have a translator.
    But you know, if your boys ever ever misbehave in the future, which I doubt they will; make them read this. they will love you even more for it! You are a trooper!

    ReplyDelete