Sunday, November 7, 2010

Days 35, 36, 37 & 38...whew.

We made it. We are now in Kyiv and in our second apartment since our arrival late Thursday night. It is now 1am in the morning and the boys have finally fallen to sleep, it'll be nice to be back home and to get the boys on a consistent schedule, maybe then they will fall asleep at a "normal" time, I hope so...they are sure wearing me out.
We left Dniprodzerzhynsk Friday afternoon after we picked up the boys new passports, we then took the train back to Kyiv, which was a long six hour ride, but the boys enjoyed every minute of it. What's not to love...there was a television and food and then periodically a woman would push a grocery cart up the isle with sandwiches, drinks and candy and they loved rifling through the cart trying to find something to snack on. They absolutely loved the whole train experience. Me? Not so much, I was just glad to finally arrive. Afterwards while walking through the parking lot I fell in a hole, shocker, holes in random places in Ukraine, what? My white bag is a now lovely shade of brown, my left knee is bruised and I twisted my right ankle. Woe is me...
Friday morning we had our appointment at the American Embassy and that was quite the experience in and of itself. After a series of checks we were ushered into the embassy ahead of the 50 or so people waiting already. I felt a little guilty "butting" in line, but also grateful in that I knew the boys would never last waiting all day. Once inside I heard the most glorious sounds ever...English. I was able to eaves drop and understand every conversation going on around me, it was wonderful. After filling out a series of papers we were then told we needed to receive medical clearance for the boys so we were off and running again. The rest of the afternoon was spent getting checkups, shots, and blood work done and then we received the okay that they were healthy and had all the necessary vaccinations to travel and live in the U.S. While we were at the doctors the embassy called and we needed to return so that they could fingerprint Bogdan and we needed to be there by 3pm. Sooo, we drove back, RAN through security, RAN to the front of the line and made it just in time, whew. The woman helping us apologized profusely for not having us do the fingerprinting when we were there earlier. She had not realized that Bogdan was 14, he is just so little. In the same area of the embassy that we were in two other couples were there finishing up their adoptions as well. One couple was adopting two beautiful little girls, sisters, the mother was holding the toddler in her arms while the older sister was sitting close by. We chatted for a bit and the father of the little girls mentioned their little girl is also mistaken for being younger than she actually is, you see the toddler the mother was holding was actually 8 years old...she truly looked as if she were 2, if that. Such an amazing couple, I wish I had the time to sit and really talk with them, to listen to their story.
We went to the ballet, which was FANTASTIC. Translator Oksana called me the other day and asked if we would like to go it was going to be 20 grivna to attend, about $2.50. I didn't tell the boys, because first of all I didn't know how to explain to them what we were doing and secondly, I knew if they realized we were going to the ballet I was not going to get them out of the house. When they did finally realize what we were doing, you could probably guess, they weren't too happy, but they actually enjoyed it. It was about pirates, princesses, kidnappings and killing, what teenage boy wouldn't love that kind of action and I know they sure thought the female dancers were pretty cute too. It was a wonderful, wonderful evening. (Thanks Oksana).
We have our final appointment at the embassy tomorrow and if all goes well, WE ARE DONE!! Since being back in Kyiv and leaving Dnipro I am ready to go home now. Leaving Dnipro was difficult, leaving the children and the friendships I made. I will never be back. It reminds me of my mission...saying goodbye to people that were such a big part of your life, that you grew to love and knowing that you would never see them again...it was hard. But, I'm ready to go.

Loves and kisses!


George taking us to the train station. Notice where the white line is, now you know why I was a nervous wreck while sitting in his car and there are no seat belts as well, at least where I was sitting.



Driving down the lane leaving our apartment complex for the last time.


Our apartment building, we are the third apartment up right in the middle of the photo.


Okay, I had to do it. I had to feed the dogs one last time and we were going to go out in style, not hot dogs this time. I went and bought some hamburger, fried it up and added some yummy ham and a little bit of bread.


The dogs were grateful...they finished their meal in 2 minutes flat.



The girl on the left works at the cosmetic counter at our grocery store. My goal was to get her to say, "hello" and smile, and she finally did. I never did get the nurse at the sanatorium to do it though. Oh well, 1 out of 2 isn't bad. The man on the right is security, he stands there all day watching the cashiers and the comings and goings of the store.



The frozen food section at the grocery store.

My most favorite cashier of all, Anna. She was so helpful and kind to me each and every time I went in, which was pretty much everyday. She hugged me when I explained to her that I was leaving, I love her.

The produce department. Not very big.
The man holes in Ukraine. This one is filled with rubbish so you won't fall in.



This man hole is filled with a stump. I walked by this one and the one above every single day.


I started to take a picture of Bogdan while he was getting his blood taken, but he said, "No mama, off, " he was starting to cry and he was a little embarrassed, but then he realized it wasn't so bad and so he then wanted his picture taken, he was so proud of himself. Oh, how I love this boys ever present smile.

Ruslan getting his blood taken. He looked the whole time and was as brave as can be. I got a little weak in the knees though...

Ruslan's drawing of a race care, he really has some talent.


Bogdan's drawing of, you guessed it, Sponge Bob.


There were fireworks last night. Oksana mentioned it was in celebration of the Germans leaving Ukraine during WWII. This was taken outside our apartment window.

We went shopping down "Souvenir Road" and I told Bogdan that he could take a few photos while we were there. He actually took 68, these are just a few. Seriously Dave, this boy needs his own camera.





Inside the theatre where we attended the ballet. It was simply beautiful inside.






Tanslator Oksana, my dear, dear friend and the boys.


























6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! I want a stacking Ukrainian doll!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE those! If they are cheap and you can still find one I'd love it if you brought me one back...(I'll reimburse you!) No worries though if it's too hard to find and too much money! I've enjoyed your posts...so fun! And so crazy! I'm proud of you, Danielle! You did it! What an amazing story...
    Love ya! Can't wait to see you this week!! WOOT WOOT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed you got pictures IN the store! They must have really loved you! I got my camera out once and got a "nett" and put it right away.
    I did dig out George's seat belts in the back. Apparently he's shoved them back under the seat?
    The ballet venue looked fabulous! How awesome. And ballet? You don't need to understand the language to understand ballet. Alex saw the pictures and I told him you all went to the ballet to which he replied. Ballet is boring. Typical boy.
    So glad you're almost home. Post your flight info if you'd like us to greet you at the airport!
    Whootwhoo....you are almost home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope your twists and bruises are healing and that you are surviving the rest of Ukraine. It sounds like the Embassy was as much of a relief as we all felt. What a breath of fresh, kind of American air. So glad you got to go the the ballet. We saw one too but not when we had the boys and so I am glad that they got to see the talent from their country. We hope it all comes together. We can't wait to see you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I love all the detail and the pictures. You have had an amazing experience and it has been so much fun to follow it with you and your family. You've been a real trooper for finishing out the remaining weeks in Ukraine by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pictures Danielle. I love that you took pictures of everyday things, that is what you want to remember. I can't wait to see you this week! Bryce included you in our prayer today. We hope you travel safely and all goes well. Thanks for the blog posts, I have loved following you on this adventure! love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, your journey is almost over. You will think about it for the rest of your life. I know I sure think about ours all the time. Yes, I fell in a hole too and twisted my ankle. I thought maybe mine was even broken. I hobbled for a couple weeks, and it still hurt for weeks after I got home. The holes are just lovely. It has been almost a year since we left for Ukraine to get Alex. The time has flown by in some ways and dragged in others. It has been fun reading about your adventure. You are an entertaining writer. Thanks for blogging, and have a great reunion with your family.

    ReplyDelete